Saturday, August 15, 2020

Opportunity to Zoom Along

Like most of us writers, my ability did not just appear out of thin air, or for that matter, out of this heavy, humid, southern air. I had the knack, true, but I soon found knack and desire don't add up to success. I wrote my first short story (beyond weekly spelling assignments!) when I was in third grade, went on to creative writing class in high school, became clerical assistant for the children's lit teacher at Appalachian State University, and during my pregnancy leave of absence, took a writing correspondence class. All this was before I ever submitted a single article for publication. 

I thought I knew writing by then. Wrong. I soon realized writing was not a magic gift from the muse of the day, but rather a developmental process that, in my case, I'm sure tired my muse as much as strained me. I joined a brutal critique group. I attended yearly professional writer's conferences. I worked through CD versions of writing lessons. I repeat: All this before I ever submitted a single article for publication. 

My first article was a long time coming. After years of rejections and rewrites and trash cans and bottom drawers, I was published in Highlights for Children in 2009, and then BAM, POW, WOW, things began happening. Since then, my work's been published in magazines, newspapers and online, in addition to four children's picture books and eight narrative nonfiction books featuring the western North Carolina mountain culture.

That last paragraph didn't come easy, believe me. I am still in the process of learning and if you are a writer, you should be, too. Look for opportunities to grow the skill beyond putting ink to paper, or fingers to keyboard, if you prefer. 

Whether you are a seasoned author or a neophyte waiting for your moment in the sun, you (we) need to be honing our abilities in a learning on the job kind of way. Let me tell you about one group of writers that has an online opportunity coming up September 19. While their focus is on writing for children, the lessons learned there will apply to all writers across the board. This is a writer's group whose foundation is on Christ and Christian principles. I've always appreciated their name, Write2Ignite. Imagine if your writing ignites a child into thinking and acting.  What more could a writer want!

Even though meeting for their typical writer's conference is not possible in this CoVid Era, they want to continue sharing and interacting with other authors by holding an online seminar. What an opportunity! This year, rather than being open to those who can travel, they are open to anyone who can sit in front of a computer and join in. September 19. World wide. Wow, God can make lemonade out of lemons.

And, oh, my goodness, look at the name of the leader, Joyce Hostetter. I've read her books and seen them used in classrooms here in the county where I live. I even attended a play based on her book, Blue. She has so much to share with others. Check out this youtube video of Joyce and you'll see what I'm talking about. Here's what they sent me explaining the one day zoom conference:

What to Expect from the Sessions (NOTE: These are linked to Joyce’s blog posts on these topics.)

·         Creating Memorable Characters — Tried and true strategies for creating characters.

·         On Writing Plot: What’s the Problem — Structure and the power of conflict in creating a great plot.

·         View Point and Dialogue— Dialogue that works overtime and strategies for creating an authentic narrator.

At Write2Ignite, we strive to create a constructive schedule of events that will help you increase your knowledge of writing Christian literature for children and young adults. Each of our events is created with you, the writer, in mind. 

Check out this schedule (based on eastern daylight time)

Registration is open now. Click here for something you can take advantage of to up your writing game while being in the goodness of your own space. Enjoy. Learn a lot. Write often.

Catch of the day,

Gretchen



6 comments:

  1. Loved reading about your writing journey, Gretchen! And a big congratulations on making it into the pages of Highlights Magazine. That's impressive. Thank you for your enthusiastic endorsement and for sharing this info with your readers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so welcome, Joyce. This sounds like such a wonderful opportunity.

      Delete
  2. This is my first time visiting your website, Gretchen. You presented the Write2Ignite Conference in such a delightful way. I love your style. I'll be back to read more. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Gretchen, for sharing the news! This us going to be benificial and fun, too! Pnly a few weeks to wait.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jean. I know writers will get a lot out of the day.

      Delete