Tuesday, February 21, 2023

Until later

I'll be taking a timeout from social media starting tomorrow. It's the discipline I chose to honor for Lent. I spend way too much time on Facebook that I could spend doing more faith-based activities, like reading scripture or holding devotions. That's the plan.

Often I arbitrarily pick an item like chocolate or red meat to deny myself during the forty days of Lent. I learned very quickly that forty days is a long time, longer still when Sundays get added in. Forty seems to be a Biblical number of enduring. Noah and the animals lasted forty days on the ark. Moses and the Israelites wandered for forty years. Jesus was tempted in the desert for forty days. 

Today is Mardi Gras, the traditional day we believers squeeze in any last-minute chocolates or red meat or other delights we might have chosen to deny ourselves until Easter. I'll certainly follow suit and today view the last memes of prancing puppies or mischievous cats that my friends invariably post.

Take a look at this postcard meme from 1910.
There's nothing new under the sun. Just sayin'

Will I be able to do this? Can I overcome the temptation to peek just once? I'm nowhere near Christlike and fall short way too many times, but surely I can resist the ping of my cellphone telling me there is something juicy on Facebook that I just can't miss.  There will be one way to do this and one way only.

 Prayer. 

When I come out the other side, it will be time to celebrate the resurrection of our Christ. 

Talk to you then,

Gretchen



2 comments:

  1. Bless you 😇 You are following the command in
    Col 3:2
    You are loved❤️🙏🏻
    JC

    ReplyDelete