Monday, May 31, 2021

Part 2: A Place Called Trust

I zoomed an author visit with a class of fourth graders recently and had a glimpse into the Covid reality of a classroom. The teacher had to relay the questions students asked because they were masked muffled, even though their interest in what I had to say certainly wasn't suppressed. We had a great time. They asked the usual questions, which book do you like best, why do you write, how old are you... those questions.

My favorite question this time was new. "What is the best thing about being an author?"

Easy answer.

Meeting my readers, which was what I was doing with these students.

That was Tuesday. Then Saturday I did exactly that, and did I ever enjoy myself. I even introduced my ninety-one year old coauthor Jasper to the joy of meeting our readers. We were at a little country store in Western North Carolina's backwoods (Trust General Store and Cafe) along with a huge group of locals and tourists stopping in. As I saw it, Jasper held court. 

He mesmerized the crowd with his stories, and he had plenty to tell. 
He met new friends and ran across people who knew his old friends that long since passed away.


Being an author has introduced me to experiences I never anticipated when I submitted my first manuscript years ago. It's been some ride!

Catch of the day,

Gretchen

No comments:

Post a Comment