Monday, May 17, 2021

Found Cat

 Call me soft hearted. Call me bleeding heart, even. Just don't call me a sucker, although I admit that does describe me. I am not apologetic either. Sometimes you do what you have to do, or what fate forces you to do.

When my children first went away to college we didn't have an empty nest. It was filled with their left-over pets. I loved them (and fed them) as much as the kids did, but I put my foot down, and so did my husband. When these are gone, NO MORE PETS. 

The dogs and cats eventually passed away, one by one of natural causes, which broke my heart. The last one was a cat named Sam who endured the teenage years of my children. When I told them Sam had crossed the Rainbow Bridge, I reminded them of our resolution. 

Within mere months a cat found us, kitten actually. We have no idea where it came from, but one day it appeared and forced its way into our hearts. The grands named it Patches since it was a patchwork of gray and white splotches. We forked out the money to have her fixed. No kittens. At least we could control that. 

All went well for a little over six years. We have a routine. She comes inside in the mornings, eats, crawls into a favorite sunlit spot and sleeps until something better comes along. She eats supper and heads outside for the night, assuming the weather cooperates with her. Clockwork. We could set our clocks by her morning meows at the back door.

Then this past week, cat number two appeared. This one was different from the very start. Fully grown. Overly friendly. Would not leave us alone when we stepped outside. However, much to its chagrin, it was shunned by our precious Patches. More than that, Patches hissed and growled at it. 

This was definitely someone's well loved, fully grown fur baby. Its long hair was matted from who knows how long in the wilderness, so matted we couldn't tell if it was male or female. 



And hungry. 
Oh, my, this cat was starving. 

Despite the warnings from my husband, from neighbors, and even from the dog pound (did you know if you feed a stray for three days, you then become responsible for it!) I broke down and fed it. Just enough to tide it over until its owner appeared. Ha!

I advertised on a Lost Pets of Caldwell County facebook page. My post was shared by many others and the network had to have gone out to thousands. No takers. I looked for a no-kill shelter and called. They've not contacted me personally but according to their website as a volunteer organization they must be overwhelmed with cries for help. They go to the county animal shelter and save what they can. First the pet had to be there.

So I called the animal shelter and talked with the lady there. She advised me to take it to a vet to see if it had a micro-chip. They would take the cat, but if it was not claimed after seventy-two hours, then steps would be taken to deal with it. That could mean the no-kill group accepting it. Or not. 

I called our vet and immediately appeared at their door. No chip, but it was, they informed me, a fully intact male. 

So now the question is, can I really take this innocent animal to an uncertain future at the pound and come home to snuggle with my much relieved Patches? Which cat counts most, the one who arrived six years ago, or the newest to arrive, who as fate would have it, is homeless? 

Jesus told a parable of workers in the field. One arrived early in the morning, others began working hours later, one barely by the end of the workday. When the owner of the field paid them, each received the exact same amount of pay. The first arrival complained. Naturally he did. 

This parable always bothered me. How could a fair employer do this to those who got there first! But in his wisdom, Jesus was showing us a loving God accepting us into heaven. Those who accepted the love of God at the last moment of life were no less welcome by God than those who grew from birth in the faith. 

Accept this cat? Yes. I can.

Unless I find the true owner.

Catch of the day,

Gretchen

UPDATE:
There are angels among us in the form of cat rescuers who picked it up yesterday evening. This precious cat is on its way to a no-kill adoption shelter. I'd bet it will be re-homed in a matter of days. Things have a way of working themselves out.

No comments:

Post a Comment