Friday, January 1, 2021

Which one won?

 Of all the gifs and memes I've seen for this new year, the one that gave me most pause was what I call the "Which one won?" meme, referring to 2020 and 2021. In spelling this new year out, 2021, would that be twenty-twenty-one or is it an alternate spelling twenty-twenty won (I love a good play on words). It's all perspective.


This picture of my husband, Van, and me is my 2020 in a nutshell. Masked, but forging on. When the North Carolina governor first proposed the stay-at-home orders back in March, we did exactly that, sort of. We walked our streets and eventually branched out to walk various nearby pathways. We hiked mountains. We went on picnics, just the two of us. We walked nine holes of golf each week. We went to the beach twice and on a golf retreat twice, all the while safely following standards set by health authorities.

The depressing side of 2020 did not win, no it didn't. We defeated it. The world has not defeated the covid enemy, but in our home, we held our own against it.

And now 2021 is ahead of us. I learned lessons from this past year that I will take with me into this new year. First, never take anything for granted. I will appreciate each and every day. I will approach the morning with joy that I survived and say a prayer of thanksgiving at the end of the day. I am more determined than ever to accomplish goals I set in the glory days when covid wasn't an issue. I will set new goals that are more challenging. I know not what tomorrow brings, but I know my God is with me no matter what.

So when 2022 comes along, will I spell it as twenty-twenty-two or will it be a repeat year spelled as twenty-twenty, too? Not that again!!! 

Time will tell. I pray that we are all alive and healthy to get the privilege to ring it in and spell it out.

Catch of the day,

Gretchen

2 comments: