Saturday, January 20, 2024

Shredding the Past Away

Even though Christmas was different at our house on the year without a Christmas tree, we still had a joyous time. Of all the practical gifts available in this world, my husband gave me a stackable washer/dryer. I countered and one-upped him with a paper shredder. Yep, romance sort of took second place...sort of. Read on!

There's a story behind this shredder. Stay with me here.

For years we have told each other that we needed to move the washer/dryer upstairs to the main floor, but we never actually did it. Instead, we dutifully walked up and down the steps to do the laundry in the basement. Nine months pregnant? I walked around outside in the rain to get to the basement carrying a basket of clothes on my hip. Those were the days, my friend!

I thought they'd never end. Up, down, carefully holding to the banister, watching not to trip over the dog, pulling the door at the top of the stairs shut so the cat couldn't get downstairs. And repeating all this to search for that one stray sock that just didn't make it back upstairs. 

Until...back in September, I broke my leg. Those days had to end, my friend. We knew the day would come, yet we didn't expect it to happen so fast. 

We called a contractor for advice and we started the process. Our four-bedroom home is now a three-bedroom home with a laundry room on the main floor. Yippeeee! It all sounds so easy now that we are nearly finished, but let me tell you it wasn't. And that's where the paper shredder comes in.

This fourth bedroom turned laundry room happened to be filled with all kinds of boxes and bags and crates of accumulated married-life junk. Before the contractor could even start, we had to clear out the room completely, no small task. Our very lives unfolded before our eyes. Since we hadn't moved from the house for over fifty years, the piles astonished us with odds and ends of memories.

One thing in the piles was a box of letters, not just any letters, but letters to me from my husband back when he was a student at Wingate Junior College and I was a student at Appalachian State Teacher's College. Yes, we're that old because both schools are now universities. We had just started dating and the letters were filled with cute comments about love and life that we have no intention of their ever seeing the light of day to anyone but us, especially not our children who will be the ones to clean out this mess once we kick the bucket.

So I bought a paper shredder and a bottle of wine, and on Christmas Day we opened the box. We spent the afternoon reading letters aloud to each other, laughing at how immature we were and tearing up as we read about boys on his dorm hall being called up to the draft and VietNam. We time-traveled by the songs of the sixties that he mentioned in his letters and the movies he wrote about that we had long since forgotten. Many of the people he mentioned are no longer living, but they came alive in his descriptions of their corporate antics as college sophomores. 

We did save a few select letters that show our children how much of a true romance we had, but the rest are gone. No regrets. 

Mainly because then the contractor started.

A glance at the room during construction

This week, the washer was installed. 

It's not all that great a picture, but I'm in love with it, and with the man who gifted it to me (to us really) for Christmas. We have a few things to tweak in the room, but we're already using this new blessing. 

It's a wonderful life!

Catch of the day,

Gretchen

10 comments:

  1. I am so glad you did save some letter for your kids. They will love them!!🥰

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Gretchen this anonymous is your old friend Sara!! 🤗

      Delete
    2. Hi Sara, thanks for reading my blog. I'm glad we saved a few letters, too, but believe me, we picked and chose!

      Delete
  2. Gretchen, what a beautiful story. I had to laugh at your desire to NOT leave certain writings for your children to find. Same here! Thank you for sharing this slice of real, loving life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Eileen, great to know you read my blog. We actually had fun doing this. It took three hours on Christmas Day and a couple the day after.

      Delete
  3. Enjoyed the post. I sat in a chair and shredded off and on papers for a couple weeks after my retirement. I only paused because it would overheat. At Mom and Dad’s, I was lucky to hook up with a shredding opportunity with the town of Hudson. I was able to drop off numerous boxes since I lived in the community. We saved a few things too. I just finished a scrapbook about my parents and their ancestors. You are in it on Dad’s author page.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I forgot to pos my name.

      Delete
    2. Our machine overheated several times. Must have been the wine!

      Delete
  4. Well!! I learned something!! Van and I have something in common - WINGATE!!! I was there when it was a junoir college transitioning to a four year college! I was in the 2nd four year class!!! It has now transitioned from Wingate College to Wingate Univeristy! I'm really proud of my little school and all its accomplishements. When I return for events, it's welcomes me back home like it did the first time I set foot on its campus as a student. My ride home was a Hibriten grad who went to WC/WU until he transferred to NCSU. My brother was there until he transferred to ASU. I was part of the very first Winternational travel group ever! NO pressure there!! But thanks to continuing those friends/alumn traveling experiences, I got to go to places I only dreamed about .....and the adventure and love of this little school who rocks continues on...Who knew!! (you'll see I copied / pasted this from your FB page where you have this story...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He graduated Wingate in 1967. He served a couple terms on the Wingate University Board of Visitors and has gone back several times. Our granddaughter went to summer camp there.

      Delete