Friday, January 6, 2023

A Pot Full of Orchids

Orchids were never on my radar to look at, much less raise. 

But.

For over a year now, I've been tending this one pot of orchids. I inherited it from my Aunt Lorraine, my Salvation Army connection that lived with us the final months of her life. I watched her care for it and when she could no longer walk, or no longer cared to care, I took over. 

My joy has been in watching it bloom this year after her death. 

We're up to three blooms now with a promise of more to come. I posted pictures on my facebook account and some of you have been watching the journey with me. One friend even sent a link to caring for the plant. Check out this Phalaenopsis Care website. The pictures and circumstances of growing my orchid fit exactly with mine. I was most excited with the statement that the plants will be in bloom for months. 

It's really been quite easy following Lorraine's instructions: Water once a week, using only one cup. She made sure she measured exactly one cup, and so do I. Let it sit for one hour, and believe me, Lorraine timed it to one hour. Then pour the water out. And that's it for all the care I did. I set it in the kitchen window where it receives a little morning sun. 

Now I'm reaping the benefits of beauty while I'm remembering the beauty of family ties. Wouldn't Lorraine be happy!

Catch of the day,

Gretchen

4 comments:

  1. This is wonderful news. I put 3 ice cubes on mine once a week which comes out to a fourth of a cup of water. The other day I finally checked out how to feed them. They bloomed in spite of my ignorance. Aunt Lorraine will be in your memoirs I hope.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ice cubes! Not sure I'll try that, but sounds interesting. Yes, the orchid blooms have given me joy in remembering her.

      Delete
  2. Wonderful post!

    ReplyDelete