Saturday, July 10, 2021

Sgt. York

 There's a new old book on my to-read list.  It matches a movie, both done decades ago. It was written as an autobiography by Sgt. Alvin York and first published in 1918. It was republished in 2018, a hundred years later. I saw the original.

It was on his desk. At his house. In the backwoods of Tennessee.
I toured his home with my husband and a few other tourists a few weeks ago. How we found this out of the way gem, I have no idea, but I'm glad we did. It was stuffed with everyday living from a century ago, from a family of a beloved World War I hero. The state of Tennessee maintains it as a state historical park.

I must admit I didn't know much about WWI before I entered this park, but I learned a lot about the war and about one humble soldier who fought so valiantly. When he was drafted into the army he completed forms to be a conscience objector, but despite his dramatic faith story, his plea was denied. He went to the front lines in Europe and when the time came to defend his friends and comrades, he did. He was lauded for his actions of killing enemy soldiers to save others. He returned home to a ticker-tape parade in New York City, but only wanted to return to his home in the hills of Tennessee and leave the world behind. 

My personal experience in military is limited, so I can't pretend to imagine his feelings that fateful day when his company was under attack. However, for those of us wondering, the park built a model of the trenches soldiers fought from during this "Great War." 
My husband and I walked the trenches. Everything was pristine. No blood. No dead bodies. No moaning injured.
We had to imagine. My goal now is to read Sgt. York's book and watch the movie based on it. I want to hear it from his own words, not the well researched words of others, no matter how compelling  and excellent their books. An autobiography is from the soul. I want to dive into his soul beyond what I saw in his house. I want a first hand view of living in those trenches. 

Often through my teaching career I referred to us classroom teachers as workers in the trenches. After visiting this state park, I will be more careful when I use this comparison. Actually, I'd say nothing compares to the original use of Sgt. York and the doughboys being in those trenches.

Catch of the day,

Gretchen





No comments:

Post a Comment