Monday, April 26, 2021

Ghost Gardens

I heard a new term recently. I knew the concept, but never realized it had a name attached to it. 

Imagine a bunch of daffodils as if in a flower garden in the side yard. House gone. No life around. No explanation for a garden in the middle of nowhere.

Hence, ghost garden - 






I've witnessed several ghost gardens in my hiking the backwoods of the Carolinas. These clumps of flowers appear faithfully every year for no reason at all except that they can. I've thought often of the flowers. Who planted them. Why there is no house.

As a storycatcher I yearn to know the story behind the story, but in nearly every case where I've seen a ghost garden, the land is as bare as the explanation. As a writer I am compelled to create the reason. I can't help myself. 

And then I start. What if?

My mind will weave a story, build a cabin, add characters to come alive and plant bulbs.

That's what writers do, so please excuse me while I mull a while.

Catch of the day,

Gretchen


No comments:

Post a Comment