Saturday, April 11, 2015

Wilson Creek

In case you haven't noticed, I've changed my feature photo from the schoolhouse to the creek. When I first began this blog, I was deep into the process of writing a book about Pilot Mountain School, so naturally I used the schoolhouse as the opening shot of my blog.

That was then.

This is now.

Today I'm up the creek, Wilson Creek to be exact. Isn't it beautiful! This photograph was taken by Bill Kincaid and now graces not only the top of my blog, but also the back cover of my upcoming book, the one that should be on the market within a month, the one that I would have never imagined I would be a part of.

More on that in future posts. Today's is about Wilson Creek, with another view in this photograph by Gene Swanson:


According to the Friends of Wilson Creek website, the creek has a storied past through floods and fires, and even industrial development that failed due to those floods and fires. In the end, it defied development. It remains what you see in this photograph.

A group of concerned citizens led a successful campaign to have it designated as a Wild and Scenic River. One of them is the co-author of our upcoming book, Mr. Ron Beane. Here's an excerpt from a chapter in the book:
  • During my tenure as a commissioner, one of the main projects was getting Wilson Creek designated as a Wild and Scenic River. Together with County Manager Bobby White, Commissioners Herb Greene, Alden Starnes, Larry Taylor, John Thuss and myself, we helped make it become a reality. The Wild and Scenic Bill for Wilson Creek was signed into law by President Bill Clinton in August, 2000. That process took twenty months to complete and sign into law, a very short time for such a project. We were told that the process could take from three to seven years to complete, and that our timetable for completion was unheard of. After the designation, we sought and secured funds to purchase approximately seven acres of property on Wilson Creek for a visitor’s center. The Wilson Creek Visitor Center opened in October, 2002. I was so happy to see the Wild and Scenic designation because I knew that it would protect this “Caldwell County Treasure” beyond my lifetime, and it would be something that many will enjoy years in the future. Wilson Creek has always been special to me and to many others who fish and swim and hike in the gorge area. 
Oh, and here's an excerpt from the back cover (Wilson Creek in the background):


I can't wait to show you the rest of the book.

Catch of the day,

Gretchen

1 comment:

  1. Congrats, Gretchen. Sounds wonderful. Look forward to reading more.

    ReplyDelete