Saturday, October 3, 2020

Democracy Heroes

 During this age of corona I have been cautious about being out and about since I my doctor reminded me I am in the "at risk" population. That doesn't mean I stayed home. Far from it. When the gym where I was a member closed its doors, my husband and I took up walking, a good social distancing exercise. We hiked in places not on my radar a year ago. Fortunately the golf course where I am a member remained open and we walked the course. There were a few rule adjustments, like no touching flags in the greens or no raking sand traps. (No hitting out of sand traps, either...as if I was upset). We walked the course to avoid touching golf carts others might have used. 

Meanwhile the world went on. Medical professionals saved lives. Educators taught my grandchildren online. Garbage collectors showed up on a regular schedule, as did the newspaper deliver man. People adapted and kept going best they could. My daughter's job in a veterinary clinic required adaptations as well. Meet my beautiful daughter:


She's a hero. She shows up to work every day despite all the threats around her. In fact, all those professions I listed above are made up of heroes in our time. I've driven past various establishments decorated with lawn signs reading "Heroes work here." Yes they do.

And there I am. Hunkered down. I never felt like a hero... 

Until this past week when I went to election training for poll judges. I've held this position for several election cycles, and didn't hesitate when I was asked to do it again this year, despite CoVid. I sucked it up and decided this evil virus would not hold me back from doing my civic duty. The training manuals assured us all steps imaginable have been taken to keep us safe...social distancing, face masks, face shields, plexiglass between us and the voters. The voter is even given an ink pen to keep, no seconds on touching the pens.

The Board of Elections director called us judges "Democracy Heroes." My shame at all those times I felt like I wasn't doing my part faded away. Those who will work the polls on November 3 and during early voting in the weeks before are definitely heroes. 

Despite all the risks, people will show up to vote. Hallelujah! And we will be prepared. I hope they wear masks, but in case they show up bare-faced, we will not turn them away. We will offer them a mask, but in the end, we will not deny anyone the right to vote. 

On election day when you walk past campaigners keeping their fifty foot distance from the polls, or before that even when you see signs for various candidates placed by dedicated party workers, know they are participating in one of the greatest creations humankind has come up with. From sea to shining sea, officials are in the process of preparing for this year's election, and while I can't speak for any other precinct, our little place in the world will be ready. 

I can proudly now join in to say,

"Heroes work here."

Catch of the day,

Gretchen

1 comment: