Monday, February 11, 2019

Lovely Little "Ly"

As my writing has developed, I've discarded a few habits along the way. One of them is my reliance on adverbs. When I taught using the whole language approach, one assignment I remember was for my students to find adverbs in that particular day's reading. Of course I had chosen carefully (note the Lovely Little Ly), and sought out passages that fit my purpose.

Surprisingly (LLLy), I did notice one thing. The novels I selected to work with student lessons had fewer and fewer adverbs as the publication dates became more recent. Finding "ly" words became increasingly (LLLy) more difficult.

A blog by a fellow author clearly (LLLy) explains the devaluation of the "ly." Take a look at Joan Edward's blog on writing and see what I am talking about. I read her blog faithfully (LLLy), and this post really struck home with me.


Not that she's claiming putting "Ly" on permanent exile is the answer. There is a time and place to insert the perfect "Ly" adverb when it fits like the missing part of a five hundred piece jigsaw puzzle. It's the snick a writer hears when that one well chosen word completes the intended image.

But in this blog she's pointing out the value of sentences constructed to give the reader the full picture, not the short cut version with an "ly" stuck on the end of an adjective. 

I made a comment on her blog reacting to a humorously (LLLy) written comment by another reader, and because of that, I won Joan's lottery. In fact, in honor of Valentine's Day, and because she is a wonderful person, all of us who commented were offered the same reward, a critique of a thousand word snippet from our own personal manuscripts that would flesh out those LLLy's and give the sentence a new life. 

I know exactly which thousand words to send: The final few pages of my work in progress. Reading back through it I realized there weren't as many of those pesky "Ly" adverbs after all, so I inserted a few to add to the verbs the old fashioned way. Hopefully (LLLy) she will give me a new awareness of how to revise and make those vivid verbs come alive without the "Ly" crutch.

I'm looking forward to seeing what she suggests. Thank you, Joan!

Catch of the day,

Gretchen 

10 comments:

  1. As a teacher myself who was a student of an English teacher who heavily focused on the "ly" importance, I have often reflected on the adverbs I see when reading today. I plan on taking a closer look at this with a few of the children's books I read with students.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sherry, I like comparing notes with fellow teachers. Maybe the Lovely Little "Ly" will come back in fashion. It sure made teaching adverbs easier.

      Delete
  2. This was a great read. I must admit I am.a fan of the ly. im kinda sad to see them go

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't realize they were out of fashion until I started reading about it. I hadn't missed them, but I must admit that when I read a book now with an abundance of "Ly" adverbs, I do notice.

      Delete
  3. Dear Gretchen,
    I'm glad that my post on using LY adverbs intrigued you. Writing is about choosing the right words for your story. Sometimes the LY adverb may be the right word...the one that fits where no other word will convey the meaning you want to convey. I am honored that you put a link to my blog. It is a privilege for me to be able to read 1000 words of your manuscript! You make blogging fun!


    Never Give Up
    Joan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joan. You always have something to offer on your blog. I'm looking forward to your suggestions for the "Ly" words.

      Delete
    2. You're very welcome. I sent you my suggestions for your manuscript including the "LY" words. Fascinating story! Great writing!

      Delete
  4. I got your email, Joan. Thank you so much. Your suggestions are spot on.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Gretchen,
    You are very welcome. Remember delete any idea you don't agree with 100 per cent. I loved your story and hope to be able to read it to learn about the adventures in it. You have many Blue Ribbon Passages...great writing.

    Never Give Up
    Joan

    ReplyDelete