Monday, December 15, 2014

Author Visits

'Tis the Season. (Since my book is a Christmas book)

For author visits. (To talk about my Christmas book)

Got one tomorrow. (Because Christmas is near)

I'll be sharing and talking with fourth graders about my writing process...and my book.

I've been to several schools this season, each offering an experience so delightful I almost feel like going back to my first career love, teaching. (Almost!) I miss the children, their joy and curiosity, even their crazy, out of context questions. I miss eating in the lunchroom where a bit of reality is served up daily. I miss watching the light bulb moments when a child understands a concept we've gone over and over and over and then ka-boom, he gets it. 

Last week I went to a school in a nearby county. The fifth graders had prepared welcome signs that were displayed in the hall. I read every one and I signed a thank you note on each poster. What fun. These children had visited me before I ever arrived...imagine that. They had gone to my webpage during computer lab class and read through it as a lesson. They played with my interactive page where I reveal my messy desk and the tools I use as I write. Check it out here. There's a hidden gem in the picture, so see if you can find it. 

By the time I walked into the gym, those students were ready to visit as old friends. I was ready for them and they were ready for me.

Advice to other authors, be prepared. Take a water bottle just in case. Dress in layers. I visited in classrooms in a school where I was cold in one room and burned up in another, depending on how far away from the ancient heater the room was. Be familiar with the writing objectives the teachers are required to follow because this is your chance to reinforce them. You are the example they will use the next time they teach a concept.  Most of all, enjoy the day and appreciate the privilege of meeting readers up close and personal. 

Catch of the day,

Gretchen






10 comments:

  1. I'm glad you're having fun out there on the road. There is nothing like presenting to a room full of children in a school. It's our shining moment as authors to latch onto our "fifteen" minutes or forty-five or fifty-five minutes of fame and the best part of being a writer of children's books.

    Your suggestions to authors doing school visits are "right on."

    Congratulations and much success to you as you share your wonderful book with students.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sandra, it's been an experience seeing how different schools and classes operate.

      Delete
  2. It was great that those students were as ready for you as you were for them! And super that the teacher incorporated getting to know you into their computer lesson. Yahoo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment, Carol. I never imagined my webpage would become a computer class lesson when I was setting it up. You just never know!

      Delete
  3. Gretchen,
    I am so happy for you and your experiences visiting as an author. Thanks for passing along the tips. I just read the sample pages of your latest book. I definitely want a copy. Are you going to Book 'Em again this year?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Linda. It's been a fun couple of weeks doing school visits. And yes, I'll be at Bookem this year. I hope to see you there. Sandra Warren, Linda Phillips and I are on a panel discussion.

      Delete
  4. Gretchen, thanks so much for these tips and your wonderful enthusiasm for school visits. I'm hoping to pack my own calendar for 2015 and I found this so encouraging and exciting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exciting is a good word for it, Linda. Also fun.

      Delete
  5. Great post and advice Gretchen. A little boy that I gave your book WHEN CHRISTMAS FEELS LIKE HOME, is enjoying it very much! Hope you have a very Merry Christmas that feels like home :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kathleen! It's so wonderful to get feedback on my books, so thank you very much for letting me know someone enjoyed it. I hope you have a Merry Christmas as well.

      Delete