Friday, March 25, 2011

Recitation and Declamation

I will not be not sitting in front of the computer today. Instead, I will be at the EBOB, as in Elementary Battle of the Books. I’m a judge for the fourth year in a row and I love it! I love watching children get excited over books. Team cheers. Team t-shirts. Clapping for each other. Huddling and discussing the books. Don’t tell me children aren’t reading. I know better. I’ve seen it.

There was no EBOB during the years Pilot Mountain School was open, but there was one competition many former students do remember. They were just as excited about it as the children of today are about the Battle of the Books. It was the yearly Recitation and Declamation contest.

This was a memorization activity for the older students, usually sixth, seventh and eighth graders, but sometimes fourth and fifth, too. The student would memorize a three or four page script and present it before an audience of squirming children and serious judges. Just like EBOB, these students were excited. They'd clap for each other and cheer each other along. Maybe they didn’t have matching t-shirts, but that was not a consideration. Not back then. They didn’t need them. They had spirit and that was enough.

Sometimes the speeches were patriotic. Usually the boys picked those.

Sometimes the speeches were religious. Sometimes humorous, in an attempt to mimic Minnie Pearl.

Or sad. That would awe the judges if the speaker could pull it off. Dog died. Mom sick. “Little Match Girl” kind of tragedies.

The winners went on to a county competition. Several Pilot Mountain students won on that level as well.

Give them the first few words, now, sixty years later, and they can take it up and recite, if not all, at least a phrase or two.

There's more to competition than meets the eye.

Catch of the day,

Gretchen

5 comments:

  1. Haven't been by in awhile, but I love these stories!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Vicki,
    I'm glad you had a chance to drop by and enjoy the stories. I've been a little off the radar, too, while I work on a major revision. I'll get back to my visiting soon.
    Gretchen

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is as close as I've come to reaching back more than 65 years ago to what we called a declamation/reading competition. By posting this I am hopeful that someone can supply me with information on a reading/declamation piece that was mine ca. 1947. "Ma Goes To The Homecoming Game" by Irene Erwin. Here are the opening lines:
    "Scene: A football stadium. Time: The afternoon.
    Ma enters and looks around intently and speaks: 'Hey young feller...where you taking us? (Pause) To our seats? But I told you I wanted to meet Sonny...He's from Back Creek Way right tall and good looking. I'se his ma.....'" Any information that can be provided will be appreciated. MAH

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can anyone provide me info on the reading/declamation that opened as follows:
    "Ma Goes To The Homecoming Game" by Irene Erwin. Here are the opening lines:
    "Scene: A football stadium. Time: The afternoon.
    Ma enters and looks around intently and speaks: 'Hey young feller...where you taking us? (Pause) To our seats? But I told you I wanted to meet Sonny...He's from Back Creek Way right tall and good looking. I'se his ma.....'"

    This recitation was similar to one recorded by Andy Griffin "What It Was Was Football".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Palmer, I will ask around. I bet you could say most of it. Several people I interviewed from that era remembered their recitations once they got started with the first few lines. I think this competition is making a comeback as I've heard of several schools doing shortened versions.

      Delete