Friday, December 10, 2010

Molly-pop play time

Molly-pops, what a fun word to say. Molly-pops. Sort of jumps off the lips. Molly-pops.
 
I'd heard that term from several former students, always the girls. The boys played marbles. The girls played Molly-pops. It's the bloom, what a bloom, passion flower beauty bloom, also known as May-pops and apricot vines. The whole school was surrounded by vines and vines of Molly-pops inviting, inticing the girls to "Come, play, dance with me." Can you see a ballerina in the bloom? These girls did. They pinched off the extra legs to form a body, shaped the purple passion into a tutu, and danced with their flower dolls.


Not so poetic, but still a lot of fun, were the seed pods, egg sized pods, full of air and little dark seeds. Just perfect for stomping. Just perfect for popping. Molly-pops.

Catch of the day,

Gretchen

4 comments:

  1. Fascinating! I'd never heard of this flower before, but I can see the girls playing with the blooms and the boys popping the pods! Heck, I wanna give pod-stomping a shot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for leaving a comment on my blog. I wanted to let you know you're doing just fine with this blog. Rules are a little different for a nonfiction project like this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is fascinating, Vicki. I've interviewed over sixty people and I'd say about a dozen mentioned molly-pops, usually the popping part.

    Thanks, Anne. I had come to that conclusion too. My purpose it to intice, just like those molly-pops.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gretchen,

    I used to make ballerinas too. What fun. Stomping on pods was great too!

    Linda A.

    ReplyDelete