Saturday, May 2, 2020

Who was that masked man?

Confession: When I was a little girl, I enjoyed The Lone Ranger, probably not because of the story, but the extras. True, the stories kept me staring at the old black and white tiny box screen, and no one could bother me during that thirty minutes of my life. But beyond the stories were the horses, and how the Lone Ranger jumped into the saddle from the back end, and how he yelled "Hi-yo Silver, Away!" And how the William Tell Overture played in the background.

The justice of it all. The admonition, "Return with us to those thrilling days of yesteryear." The loyalty to Tonto. Was this the influence that made me what I am today, a loyal, fair minded historian-wannabe?

And then there was the mask. I never heard why he wore the mask, and I really didn't care. I assumed he wanted to be anonymous, but the reason didn't phase me. In writing this blog I ran across an article by Andy Lewis, "Six Things to Know about the Lone Ranger," that explains it all, from the beginning, and answers many questions I didn't realize I had. So now I know, and now I appreciate the show even more.

And now, like him, I wear a mask.

In public.

I never in my wildest imagination as a child sitting in front of the television set considered that when I was an adult I would wear a mask. Only mine doesn't wrap around my eyes, but my mouth. And my nose.
I'm not sure if anyone has to ask after they had a conversation with me, "Who was that masked woman?" I haven't run across anyone who knows me in order to find out. Self distancing, you know.

But I do want to pay tribute to those many people in my community who have stepped up and used their sewing talents to mask us all. First there are the professionals in the furniture factories in my county who were, as the book of Esther wonders something to the effect of, "Who knows but that you were created for a time such as this." Rather than upholster beautiful stuffed couches and chairs, they have repurposed their machines to meet the mask needs. How providential in a time such as this!
Who is that masked beauty?
My beautiful daughter in her protective gear at work in the vet clinic

And then there are the women and men across the nation who are providing this mask making service from the safety of their own homes. The one I'm wearing in my picture above is from a friend who belongs to a quilting group at my church. I have another made by a friend who is a wizard at sewing and is the costume designer for our church's outdoor Christmas Trail. These ladies have taken their discipleship to a new level.

Not to forget thanking those with 3-D printers producing face guards. And those graduating seniors who are donating their useless graduation gowns to hospitals in their communities. Who knows but they were born for a time such as this!

I am in awe.

Catch of the day,

Gretchen

No comments:

Post a Comment