Saturday, May 16, 2020

Pedestrians Prohibited, Except in the Age of Corona

When the Blue Ridge Parkway closed in response to Covid-19 safety concerns, I was disappointed. For years, that road has been a resource to my family for fun, relaxation, and renewal. It is easy access to us, less than thirty minutes from home and we'd be cruising at the top speed of forty miles per hour, enjoying unbelievable vistas accented by fall colors.

With the stay-at-home rule in effect, I really didn't feel a loss for the parkway specifically, as much as I did for my get-up-and-go life I left behind.

But.

Sometimes when one door is closed, another one opens...or when one road closes, a once in a life time chance opens.

And I took it.

There is a section of the Blue Ridge Parkway called the Linn Cove Viaduct. Click on over and look at its beauty. It's a work of engineering marvel that clings to the mountains around it. I've driven over it many a time. I've hiked beneath it from the visitor's center. I've just never hiked on it because it is closed to pedestrian traffic.
There I am, getting ready to break the useless rule of no pedestrian traffic. I'm not a protester, but this was different. This was my only chance to walk on this part of heaven on earth, and I wasn't going to pass it up.
Who wouldn't want to be on the top of this world looking down on the view of a lifetime. No cars allowed.

We parked at the entrance ramp where a barricade blocked traffic from entering. Let me add, we parked with at least fifty other cars at the entrance ramp.

We walked the three mile round trip with other pilgrims, passing families pulling little ones in wagons as bicyclists sped silently past us. Skateboarders, too. We socially distanced from friends we saw by chance on the other side of the yellow line. There were encounters that brought tears to my eyes: Graduating seniors in their caps and gowns posing for a never before imagined portrait with the vista behind them and sparse crowds of strangers cheering for them, clapping, seeing their pride in celebrating an accomplishment.

In this one day in the Age of Corona, I escaped.

There is a scripture in the Christmas story in the book of Luke, something to the effect that Mary kept all these things and pondered them in her heart.

Me, too. I will forever remember this day.

Catch of the day,

Gretchen

4 comments:

  1. Wow! So touching. I am glad you could do this and jealous I didn't think of it! Definitely a day to remember. Thank you for sharing with us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The parkway is open now, so you missed your chance, Joyce. It was fun.

    ReplyDelete