Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Corporal Punishment, part 3

I heard the following story last week about the first grade teacher during the 1940's, and I'm copying and pasting a former students exact words:

"She was so sweet and tenderhearted. It hurt her to even raise her voice toward us. If we did anything wrong, she would bring out the ruler, wasn’t a long yardstick, just a ruler. She would ask, 'Do you want me to do this to you, or do you want to do it to me?' The students would never hit her, but she would have taken it. That’s just the way she was. That in itself, you know… The students seen it and seen that she would have taken it from one of us, then we better not do it again. And then she would bend your hand back, and hit one time on the hand."

A teacher offering to take the punishment for a child? Sixty years later, that child still remembers. I would have, too.

Catch of the day,

Gretchen

No comments:

Post a Comment